For The Herald Bulletin
Madison County public school systems have agreed on a list of skills that children should have upon entering kindergarten. The Born Learning Connection provides posters listing these skills that parents can use to chart their child's progress.
- I can match two of the same pictures within a group (matching game).
- I can put at least three pictures in order.
- I can sort things that go together.
- I can sort things by shape, color or size.
- I can do a simple 4-piece puzzle.
- I know five colors.
- I can repeat a simple pattern.
- I can retell a simple story.
- I can recite a simple song, poem or nursery rhyme.
- I know I am a boy/girl.
- I know my first and last name.
- I can tell you my age.
- I can tell you my parents' first and last names.
- I can brush my teeth, get dressed and go to the bathroom by myself.
- I can be away from mom and dad.
- I can take turns and share.
PHYSICAL DEVELOPMENT SKILLS
- I can use scissors to cut out simple pictures.
- I know how to hold and use a crayon/pencil.
- I am trying to write the letters in my name.
- I can copy some symbols (0, +, -, x)
- I can hope, jump, run, catch, roll and bounce a ball
- I can speak clearly and in complete sentences.
- I know at least 10 letters.
- I know my name when I see it.
- I can follow at least two-step directions.
- I understand like/different, top/bottom, first/last, big/little, up/down.
- I can recognize familiar signs (stop, Taco Bell).
- I know two words that rhyme.
- I can draw pictures and tell you about them.
- I know how to hold a book. I can show you the top and bottom, beginning and end, and left and right.
- I can count from one to 10.
- I know at least three shapes.
- I can count at least five things.
- I can match the number of things from one to five with the right number.
- I can put numbers from one to five in order.
- I can understand more and less up to five things.
- I can add and take away using up to five things.
- Approved by Alexandria, Anderson, Elwood, Frankton-Lapel and South Madison schools.